As a Kent business, born and bred, we’ve always been proud of where we’re from. In all of our 16 years, we haven’t strayed far from our roots – just having to move to purpose-built premises to accommodate our growing team – but we’ve come a long way. And that’s got a lot to do with where we are; in a county where business is championed and encouraged to flourish at every opportunity.
Here are my top 5 reasons why more than 52,000 companies call this county their home and why Kent is such a great place to do business:
1. It’s a fertile place – this Garden of England grows a diversity of business, from tourism to construction, scientific research, haulage, printing, logistics and hospitality – plus much more. This diversity also create stability and means a thriving, strong business network.
2. More chance of success – the one year survival rate for a new business in Kent is above the national average.
3. Excellent support network – there’s a genuine sense of community across Kent, with outstanding chambers of commerce and local government support. RIFT often takes part in and hosts events that bring together entrepreneurs and provide forums for swapping ideas and growing your network.
4. Leading through investment – here in Kent, local government puts its money where its mouth is, providing financial support in the form of a Regional Growth programme. Kent County Council has arranged over £54 million for Kent businesses since 2012, through schemes such as the Small Business Boost.
5. Location, location, location – our coastal location and proximity to London makes Kent about as well connected as it’s possible to get. Add the fact that housing can be 70% cheaper than in London, plus excellent transport links, make locating here an easy call.
So here at RIFT we continue to nurture the business networks that help our county to thrive. We’re proud supporters and sponsors of the KEiBA awards when they come around, while the rest of the year we’re busy supporting and encouraging local business.
We provide free business advice wherever we can – creating content for blogs, hosting free workshops and taking part in networking events.
Our blogs are building into a wealth of trusted advice for business, including a range of topics from what to consider if you’re thinking of being your own boss, advice on patents and help managing cash flow and much, much more. It is a well used resource by a variety of SMEs, often starting conversations that leads to better results and resolved issues for everyone.
And as Kent continues to flourish, we’ll continue to support and enable growth. Right now, for example, is a really exciting time and we’re seeing businesses across the tourism, infrastructure and education sectors enjoying particular success.
RIFT Research & Development is delighted to be working with the Chartered Institute of Building. Together, we’ll be working to ensure that the British construction industry always gets the credit it d...
At 71 years old, the NHS is already 5 years older than the average man expected to live when it was formed in 1948, so we at RIFT thought it was well past time we paid tribute to the greatest of Briti...